Featured Post

Welcome!

Welcome to The Mind of a (Book)Worm ! Sophie and I created this as a method of starting a book club without having to read the same books,...

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Don't Go Breakin' My Heart

Hello! Sophie here again! Today I will be writing about Love Fortunes and Other Disasters by Kimberly Karalius. I kept seeing this book in my Instagram feed and thought I'd take a chance on it. I can't say I was totally disappointed but I could kind of see where the plot was heading sooo...

An overview for you:
Fallon Dupree comes from a family of inspectors. Her parents are health inspectors, whom she believes ruin lives, and her brother is a fashion inspector of some sort. So Fallon is headed off to high school in Grimbaud, a city famous for its atmosphere of love and their love charms, especially from Zita, a charm maker whose love fortunes always come true. Fallon's parents and brother both attended school in Grimbaud and got their fortunes there, too, and are happily married. The Duprees have a history of being fated to fall in love with their high school sweethearts and then marrying young. Fallon is just as excited to fall into her family's footsteps when she is fated to never fall in love. Of course this is a bit of a bummer, I mean who would want to know that you'll die alone with a thousand animals (personally, I'd die surrounded by books but ya know, you do you), and at fourteen nonetheless. As school picks up, Fallon falls into a club of misfits who also landed unsavory love fortunes. There she discovers there may be more to Zita and her charms, and they are determined to free the city from her ironclad grip.

Okay, so that's Fallon's story for ya. Only partially of course, I wouldn't want to give away the whole story now, would I?

I got through this very fast. I liked the characters but Anais, Fallon's friend kind of bothered me. From an analytical standpoint, I could totally draw parallels between Zita and some other well-known monopolists. (Rockefeller, Carnegie, just to name a few.) I mean she had that town wrapped around her darned little finger and enjoyed it. I also could see allusions to Greek mythology with the story of the Minotaur which was pretty cool. It was well written but Fallon kind of annoyed me. But I also kind of liked her too, so I have a love-hate relationship with this book. There is a sequel coming out, I don't know when, but I'll have to read it. There were some loose ends at the end of this book and I am curious to see what will happen to the characters. I also liked Bastion. He was a cool dude, but a little to brooding for me. I hope to see Fallon grow up a little bit in this next novel too, she was a bit juvenile (weren't we all at that age? I know I was and that was only two years ago :O)

Alright, I hope this review helped! Let me know in the comments if there are any books you're looking at in particular for a review. Happy reading!
Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments appropriate and courteous!