Featured Post

Welcome!

Welcome to The Mind of a (Book)Worm ! Sophie and I created this as a method of starting a book club without having to read the same books,...

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Love Games

Hi, there! I was recently on a road trip, and what better way to pass the time (11 hours there, 12 on the way back) than to read, right?! I had been wanting to read this for a month or two so I got it from the library when I saw it: The Game of Love and Death by Martha Brockenbrough. I was so excited, particularly by the concept behind it. (It kind of reminded me of Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.)

Alright, here is my overview:
Love and Death are locked into games that are, well, deadly, not only for the players but for the world, too. For years, each has chosen one player - Romeo and Juliet, Antony and Cleopatra, Helen and Paris. Each time, Death wins and Love despairs at each tragedy.

Fast-forward to 1937 and Love and Death are back at it. The Game is reaching its peak and the players are getting close.

Flora Saudade is a strong, young woman, who can't seem to stay out of the sky. Flying is where she can be herself - no matter that she's African-American - and she is determined to be the next Amelia Earhart. In order to reach her dream, she must sing in the night club that she owns with her uncle.

Henry Bishop, a white boy, lives with a wealthy adoptive family amidst the Great Depression. He has his future ahead of him with a college scholarship and a prospective girlfriend that will secure him into his adoptive family and their society.

For Love to win the Game, they must choose each other above all else.

Okayyyy, enough of an overview? I thought so too. Long story short, I think it was an awesome book.

I really loved this book. Throughout the book I couldn't decide if it would be a cliche ending but it wasn't and that was awesome. I liked how Love and Death were very developed characters instead of just being narrators unlike The Book Thief (I love that book too, no hate). I especially liked the ending and seeing how they ended up. I wish I got to know for sure what happened to Ethan. But we can't always get what we want ya know?

Okay, happy reading!
Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments appropriate and courteous!