Featured Post

Welcome!

Welcome to The Mind of a (Book)Worm ! Sophie and I created this as a method of starting a book club without having to read the same books,...

Friday, November 6, 2015

Olly

Hi! Almost caught up on all my reviews! I've been a very busy reader lately. I read Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon recently. Yeah that took about two days to get through. Honestly it was soo good that I ripped through it like it was confetti. I won this book through a giveaway on Instagram, thanks to @tarks_books. (She is a wonderful user, go check her out!) This book is also nominated as one of the best YA books of the year on Goodreads as well as best debut author.

Here's a summary:
Madeline Wittier is sick. Not actually sick but she could be at any second. Anything could trigger it. She has a rare disease which basically makes her allergic. To the entire world. And she's perfectly happy. It's all she's known for the seventeen years of her life that has gone by as she listlessly lives life in her pristine, white house with her mother and her day nurse, Carla. Madeline is content with life - there is nothing she can do to change it, until she sees the moving truck next door. One look is all it took. Oliver and Madeline click. He shows her the world from his perspective. There is no turning back.

This book was wonderful. It is full of literary references and awesome drawings and sketches and diagrams. They are honestly so cool. I love how Madeline challenges her world. Okay I don't mind that it took Oliver to show her what it was like but I think it would've been equally as cool if she befriended a girl. I mean, who doesn't love a kick-a female character, am I right? Anyway, I flew through the pages. This was an especially quick read after I finished Mosquitoland (there's review for that one, check two previous posts). I know this probably sounds repetitive but honestly Madeline is super funny and poignant. I loved Carla. She was so sweet and she wasn't afraid to do the right thing.

I would be lying if I said there wasn't a plot twist though. It definitely takes you by surprise but I'm especially glad it happened. My only real kind of beef I had with this book was toward the end. I didn't really see how feasible that what happened would actually happen. The plot twist was super out of the blue. You don't really see it coming until the two or three pages before it happens. I had a slight inkling it would happen but I still had that bit of doubt in me.

Since I talked about the cover art in the three previous posts, I figured why not for this one, too. It truly catches the eye and is extremely detailed. Yoon's husband, David, drew all of the art for the novel and it truly is intricate and well representative of the novel. The design enhances the novel and I loved the drawings that were in the novel. It made me relate to Madeline more. I could definitely see myself doing things that she did if I was bored and couldn't leave the house. Ever.

This was one of those books I would read over and over again. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a surprise and a quick read!

Happy reading!
Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments appropriate and courteous!