Featured Post

Welcome!

Welcome to The Mind of a (Book)Worm ! Sophie and I created this as a method of starting a book club without having to read the same books,...

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Mango Cheese

Hello!! Wow, so sorry for being so behind on posts! I am trying my best to get them all caught up, I even have a list! Don't worry, I will get them all done over Christmas break. I have a few to go after this, and I'm thinking about doing a weekly posting at least, even if it's just some bookish chat. Okay, so here's a review for Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan. I read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series as well as the follow up and have loved that whole 10 book series, so of course I had to give Magnus a chance. (Side note, I have also read book one of the Kane Chronicles.)

So here's an overview:
Magnus is a bit of a troubled kid. He's had a rough life - mother murdered when he was 12 and he's been living on the streets since then. He's had to find a way to survive along with trying to mourn her death. Don't worry, he can take care of himself. One day, he's tracked down by his estranged Uncle Randolph who tells him his father is a Norse god. He doesn't know what to think and suddenly his whole life is turned upside down.


Okay, so this was a good one. I didn't particularly love it - Percy has my heart forever and always - but it wasn't poorly written either. Rick you're a writing god or something, I love his writing every time. It's funny and sweet. (I'm kind of into slapstick humor.) Anyway, while it wasn't awful, it wasn't my favorite from him. I like that he's tied in Annabeth in the mix with Magnus, too.
"What you say, there's ANNABETH?!"
Yes, I do say, there is a few Annabeth cameos. (Let's be real, Annabeth is Annabae.) I love her and it was so cool to see how the stories are intertwining. I don't know how much you keep up with Riordan or the fandom that follows him, but I definitely vote for him to tie in all his characters. I would love that.
Anyway, back to Magnus! The plot is a bit surprising, especially that first chapter, but it was cool to learn all the new Norse myths. I think it'd be awesome to live in that sort of world. One where the myths are real and to be a demigod that would be FREAKING AWESOME. Personally, I'd like to be one of Athena's children. I feel like my personality fits the best with hers. I also think it would be neat to be a Hunter of Artemis. Artemis is an awesome goddess, too.

Okay, all in all, Magnus Chase was a good book. I'd read it if you like any of his other works or if you're a newbie dipping your toes into the world of Rick Riordan. (Welcome, we've been expecting you ;)

Happy reading!
Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments appropriate and courteous!